By William M. Tsutsui
These essays think of the Godzilla motion pictures and the way they formed and motivated postwar eastern tradition, in addition to the globalization of eastern popular culture icons. There are contributions from movie stories, Anthropology, historical past, Literature, Theatre and Cultural reports and from Susan Napier, Anne Allison, Christine Yano and others.
Read Online or Download In Godzilla’s® Footsteps: Japanese Pop Culture Icons on the Global Stage PDF
Similar specific demographics books
Drawing on a big selection of literary, ancient, and theoretical resources, Rachel Lee addresses present debates at the courting between Asian American ethnic id, nationwide belonging, globalization, and gender. Lee argues that students have usually put undue emphasis on ethnic-based political commitments--whether those are construed as nationwide or global--in their readings of Asian American texts.
This ebook offers an important examining for college kids and researchers of worldwide Englishes. it's an insightful and provocative examine of the kinds and features of English in Asia, its acculturation and nativization, and the leading edge dimensions of Asian creativity.
Chinese language American Transnationalism considers the numerous ways that chinese language dwelling within the usa through the exclusion period maintained ties with China via a relentless interchange of individuals and financial assets, in addition to political and cultural principles. This publication maintains the exploration of the exclusion period started in past volumes: access Denied, which examines the recommendations that chinese language americans used to protest, undermine, and stay away from the exclusion legislation; and Claiming the USA, which strains the improvement of chinese language American ethnic identities.
This paintings seems to be on the challenging courting among the Phillippines and the USA. It argues that once confronted with a countrywide trouble or a compelling have to reestablish its autonomy, each one kingdom satirically turns to its heritage with the opposite to outline its position on the planet.
- Japan's Colonization of Korea: Discourse and Power
- The Myth of the North American City: Continentalism Challenged
- A World Not to Come: A History of Latino Writing and Print Culture
- Feasts and Celebrations in North American Ethnic Communities
Extra info for In Godzilla’s® Footsteps: Japanese Pop Culture Icons on the Global Stage
60. Friederich Kittler and 38 13. 14. 15. 16. 17. 18. 19. 20. M A Laurence Rickels have pointed to the way in which media technology both reproduce and model Freud’s psychic systems. Haunting, mourning, and the development of media technology go hand in hand with articulation of the unconscious. Laurence Rickels, The Case of California (Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press, 1991), pp. 13–14. , p. 4. , Gojira: Kenkyu tokuhon, pp. 18–20.
10. 11. 12. 37 worked on together incorporated elements from these films, including a wartime setting, a semi-documentary feel, and the centrality of special effects. Both films featured and were promoted on the basis of their cutting edge special effects, and these had been supervised by Tsuburaya. Higuchi, Guddo mpningu, Gojira, pp. 149–156. These films also come up for discussion in Peter High, The Imperial Screen (Madison: University of Wisconsin Press, 2003), pp. 382–408. I use “political theology” here to indicate an appeal to a supernatural, suprascientific spirit for the purpose of framing modernity as a process of secularization that must be reversed.
He argued that antimodernist positions were a voluntaristic evasion of the issues that imagined all contradiction in Japanese modernity could be projected onto a foreign space. He insisted that further rationalization and promotion of science were going to be necessary for Japanese success in the war effort. 18 As a philosopher of science, Shimomura held that technological extensions of man, while creating problems, also offered a potential solution. , using science and media to ideologically reintegrate the Japanese social body, thus undoing the damage to emperor-oriented tradition caused by M G O J I R A 29 previous incarnations of science and media in modern Japan).
In Godzilla’s® Footsteps: Japanese Pop Culture Icons on the Global Stage by William M. Tsutsui